Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Claiming The Role of Teacher

So I'm in this education class this semester and it's really awesome. The teacher always has us doing these activities that are simple: for example, last class we had to stand in front of the class and say "Hello, Mr/Ms. ___________ is not here today, but I am Mr/Ms. ___________ and I will be teaching you today." Then we had to write a journal type entry to our teacher about "how we feel claiming the role of teacher outloud" and I kinda liked my response... so I'm reposting it here.

Claiming the role of teacher is not scary or weird, as I thought it might be. Then I think about it and I'm not as surprised. Being a teacher has been a natural thing for me, I feel like, because that's what I enjoy doing. Teacher and helping and guiding... I've been a camp counselor/counselor type for 3 years at summer camp, a music teacher at Temple for a year, and before those experiences I enjoyed teaching people things. So "claiming the role" just feels like the natural next step.

1 comment: