Sunday, March 7, 2010

Car Troubles

Alrighty, so, I went into this weekend thinking it would be FABULOUS because 1. got out of working Friday (Lent crowd yuck) and 2. going to camp! What could go wrong?

Oh, you have no idea.

So my friend Melissa and I were driving, we're probably 35 minutes from camp and super psyched cause we were going to be way early, when suddenly my car beeps and a light starts blinking. I ask Melissa "Uh, should I pull over for that? Do you know what that means?" and she does not, so I call up some guys more likely to know... they don't. It's while I'm in the middle of talking to a guy googling dashboard alerts when suddenly my car beeps LOUDER and it blinks again and then... I see smoke trailing behind my car. Coming from MY engine! Obviously my car made the decision to pull over for me.

So we're on the shoulder of the highway, we've finally discovered that this light was my coolant temperature light. Red means BAD sooo I was in trouble. Called AAA who said they would probably be there by about 5:00. It was 3:30! Luckily they got there around 4:15 instead and the tow guy says it looks like a leak of some kind, causing my car to overheat. We drive to Temple to a VW dealer and get sit for a while. Quick diagnostic looks like they need to replace the water pump, serpentine belt, and some other things... but it should be done by the next day, so GREAT! The director of the camp's wife came to pick us up and we finally got to camp.

Next day (Saturday) rolls around and I'm anxiously waiting for the phone call to pick up my car. Around 3:50 it happens... but the call is not the news I was looking for. Turns out, that the START of my problem came from some modulator that makes the fans in my engine turn on was not working... so I was going to have a problem with my car overheating until that was fixed. Unfortunately they had to order this part and I wouldn't be able to pick up the car until Wednesday! If you don't know, Temple is NOT close to San Antonio and I really can't just up an leave in the middle of the week to pick it up.

So for now the plan is to have them fix the modulator dealie and hopefully we'll pick up the car sometime NEXT week during my Spring Break. Fantastic, yes? I just have to deal with bussing to school, figuring out how to get to work and every other thing I have to go to that is not school throughout this week... Joyous.

But a few nice things of the weekend (so as not to end completely on a bad note):
1. Camp was super fun. I love seeing those friends and the kids are awesome, and I'm REALLY excited for the new sports complex to be open this summer.
2. I saw ALICE IN WONDERLAND which I rather enjoyed. I had heard some bad reviews from other people... but did not agree with any of their complaints at all! HA. Really shows how different opinions are. I'm glad I did not judge the movie before I saw it. =]

Roses,
Allison

2 comments:

  1. Aww I'm sorry about the car! :(
    I heard that college students tend to like Alice, but anyone younger doesn't. I don't know why. Weird, much?

    ReplyDelete